Thursday, March 8, 2007

Another Chinese Killer; 2006: 4,746 Worker Killed

Another mine blows, killing the workers of her caverns. Last year we read story after story about the deplorable conditions of mines in China... one reporter attempted to bring the story to the public eye, he was later beaten to death for the report. It's true that if you're in China you cannot read this blog, but it's also true that I can report this news to readers of CFA free of worry that I'll have my head bashed in tomorrow... I HOPE! Some of the Falun Gong who have been beaten in the U.S. have argue otherwise, perhaps I should double lock my door at night.

By late on Wednesday, rescuers had found the remains of 15 dead miners. Seventeen miners survived, Xinhua reported. They were mostly local farmers.

China has the world's deadliest major coal industry, and while mine deaths have been falling after a safety crackdown, accidents like the latest explosion remain commonplace.

Last year, 4,746 workers were killed in mine blasts, floods and collapses as collieries pushed production beyond safety limits amid buoyant demand.

No comments: